Since your item was purchased as a "refurb", it will be best to contact the dealer you purchased from, and inquire of an exchange.
However, to troubleshoot a USB Audio Device with Windows 7:
• Any USB audio device will not work unless it is properly configured to your computer (i.e. Control Panel or System Preferences – your internal settings).
• A “Driver” is a component that an operating-system uses to provide I/O (in/out) services for interaction with an underlying device (in this case, communication with a USB Audio Device).
• USB Audio Drivers (in the form of a Codec) are provided by the computer’s operating-system. This driver is supplied with/by the operating system and/or the hardware (soundcard) manufacturer. This is why you can use nearly any USB Audio Device with nearly any computer.
To troubleshoot a USB Audio Device, please try all of the following:
1. Try a different USB port.
2. Try a different USB cable. If a different cable works, please let us know.
3. Try a different computer to verify. If it works on another computer, then you will have to contact your other computer’s manufacturer for tech support.
4. Make certain your USB Audio Device is configured using both the Operating System (OS) and the Program you are using. Please consult your Owner’s Manual for both.
5. Make certain your computer is fully up-to-date. This includes your OS, your drivers, and any subsequent programs/software.
6. Avoid USB 3.0 ports, USB Hubs, and USB inputs on computer monitors (excluding the iMac). All are known to have issues with USB Audio Devices.
7. For the AT2020USB, AT2020USB+, and ATR2500USB, please address the microphone from the "front", where the blue light is.
8. Also, if you are using Windows, please try Microsoft FixIt Support: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/h...
If you are missing the driver, you must contact technical support of the manufacturer of your computer and/or OS for additional troubleshooting options. Because the USB Audio Device should work on the USB Audio Driver supplied by the computer’s operating system, Audio-Technica does not manufacture or supply any drivers.
Audio-Technica does not sell directly to endusers, so we do not offer returns or exchanges.
If you observe ALL of the above, and your issue is not resolved, then you will have two options:
1. If within 30 Days of Purchase: Exchange through the dealer you purchased from (quickest option).
2. If over 30 Days from the date Purchase: Send the microphone to the ATUS Service Department for evaluation (www.audio-technica.com/service
If you have any further questions or for any correspondence, please contact the Audio-Technica United States (ATUS) Audio Solutions Team and include your original question and this response, at: