3350 for news show
I am the director of an on-campus news show at my universities' schools journalism department. My budget is tiny unfortunately, so the equipment i have to work with only includes two wireless sennheiser packs for the anchors, when i really need 3 for an extra person on set. My department bought me the ATR3350 for my third michrophone. They did a really slopy job of converting the 1/8" output jack to an XLR to run through my aviom system, to an Allen&Heath board. The 3350 barely worked even with my gain and slider almost all the way up. This page said that the 3350 can be plugged into a camera. Would it work better if i took the approach of running it through a camera and then through my avioms?
I see a couple important issues regarding your setup.
1. Sending any kind of voltage (other than the voltage supplied by the battery) has a very high potential of causing permanent damage to both the battery-module and the microphone element. Phantom Power, which is typically supplied by mixers, is roughly 32x more voltage than the microphone requires.
2. Performing a permanent modification, such as removing the 3.5mm TRS connection of the ATR3350 and hard-wiring an XLR connector, has permanently voided the warranty.
The ATR3350 was designed for use with video cameras, DSLR cameras, and handheld audio recorder's stereo 1/8" microphone input.
There is a high probability that the reason why your microphone is not working with your setup is due to the above information. Because of this, re-attaching the a 3.5mm TRS connection to use with a camera will also likely yield poor results.
For your setup, the best options for resolving your issue will be the following:
1. Purchase a new ATR3350 for direct connection to a camera that will accept a 3.5mm TRS microphone connection.
2. Purchase an MT830R for use with Phantom Powered XLR Input.
3. If Phantom Power is not available, purchase the AT803.
Another option would include purchasing 3] ATR3350 for use with an AZDEN CAM-3, for connection to a camera.
3 weeks, 4 days ago